Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another door opens....


So here is where I find myself: two weeks into a new chapter of my life. I have relocated to Gangneung city in South Korea with a one year contract to work as an English teacher and I have decided to use this page as an outlet for all my whimsical thoughts, follies and experiences along the way. A journal, an album, an eventual memoir for me to look back on and a running broadcast of my journey's events for those who are interested...
So how did I land here? Well with surprising ease actually, after returning home from 4 months of travelling in India I wasn't long in feeling the familiar "itch". I had to leave again and soon. I had met a Galway girl in Mumbai who had done the whole foreign teacher in Korea thing and raved about it to me. They pay for you flights and your apartment, she told me. Good enough for me I thought and so here I am.
Apparantly the only job requirements for landing a contract to work as a teacher here are a degree certificate and an English or American accent. I have both and was offered a job by the first recruiter I contacted. The recruiting process was swift, 2 weeks after I was offered the job I was on a plane, 18 hours after I was on a plane I was in Korea, 'The Land of the Morning Calm' and a new beginning....

No comments:

Post a Comment